Saturday, August 22, 2009

TOMORROW!

Tomorrow we leave for Ouagadougou where we will spend a couple of sessions going over last minute important things we need to know in order to be a volunteer in this lovely country of Burkina Faso. There will be some mad dash shopping to furnish our new houses and on TUESDAY we swear in as volunteers. WOAH.

I got a pretty dress made for this fancy little event, and I am really excited about wearing it and being dressed up and enjoying a day full of celebrations and fun. Weirdly, I am heading out the next morning to be dropped off at my site...not a whole lot of time for processing after a 12 week long training full of doing pretty much nothing but that!

I am pretty excited about furnishing my first house! Kind of overwhelmed when I think about it, because there's really not a whole lot of time to make calculated and nuanced decisions while shopping in Ouaga. Fortunately my site has a pretty extensive marche all the time, so I really don't NEED to go too crazy buying things if I decide that I just want to take my time. I really want to make sure that it's comfy and cozy and filled with good vibes and pretty things so that I feel really good about being there.

It's so wild that in four days we'll all be Peace Corps volunteers, all alone in our little houses figuring out what the heck we're going to do to meet people, get integrated into our communities and fill the time. No more daily contact with each other, days filled with similar experiences and stresses. It's time to go out and be big kids now. It's a whole new chapter. Wish me luck, and send me good thoughts on Tuesday!

1 comment:

Rahel said...

im so excited for you!!!!!!!!! im in the airport right now, so my big trip is about to come to an end, but yours is just beginning! make sure you take pictures at your induction ceremony!