Tuesday, February 16, 2010

miscellany

The cold season is over, if it was even ever here. It never really got cold during the day, though nights and mornings and speedy bike rides were chilly for a little while. Everyone seems to agree that the cold never really came in full force this year.

And now the air feels different. And smells different. And I'm unsure about what to expect exactly, which reminds me that I'm a newbie here in this country still. And the sweat has arrived. As have the flies. The later is much more annoying than the former.

And cooking is losing its novelty a little. It steadily has been I guess. I really enjoy cooking actually, and I'm pretty good at making something out of nothing on those days when I haven't been into town in a while and don't want to wander over and eat with the cuisinaire girls. ...but it really does take a chunk of time, especially when you consider that in order to do it you must end the activity you are engaged in to go back home before leaving your home again. It really breaks up the day, this cooking for yourself all the time stuff. Losing my motivation to cook has caused my motivation to eat to diminish a little. I love delicious food, yum yum yum...but eh. Making it? And then eating it? And then cleaning up after the preparation, creation, and ingestion? Sometimes that's a hefty task to consider.

Really I'm just procrastinating. It's been 7 hours since I made and ate and cleaned up after my last meal. I should go and do it again. The wonders of having a laptop here, stream of conscious-ing my way through this blog business. Much better than the pressured, at the internet cafe style entries. Sort of.

If anyone has anything in particular that they'd like to read about, please feel free to comment or email and let me know. I'm going to go and see what there is to put in my belly.

Oh and hey, did you all know that my parents are going to be here in Burkina Faso visiting me in fourteen weeks? I literally don't know what I'll do in my head with all of my free time after their visit comes and goes, I spend so much time thinking about how great it's going to be!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As do we!!
Love to you from snowy Manchester, CT.
Mom & Dad

TMD said...

Dreamt about you last night. You were happy and peace-corping up a storm. I hope that's true at the moment. Enjoy your time with your family when they and instruct them to give you an extra hug wherein you imagine it's from me :)