Thursday, August 12, 2010

and now...it's me time.

A nice thing about having a friend fly over to visit is that it allows you to feel even more connected with your life here. At least this was my very recent experience. Showing someone around, introducing them to people, doing things, doing NEW things even. Sitting back eating yogurt at the round point and realizing that I am comfortable. Having a friend there who knows you and has known you when brings out the part of you that maybe sometimes you feel like you keep hidden a little bit. I felt a little bit more like me, a little less hesitant to let out a ridiculous comment or be a little weird. A little more comfortable hanging out, bringing different friends together because hey, I'm showing my friend around, why don't we all go out and eat chicken tonight? I think it had a lot to do with the timing too. A year is a good amount of time to have been here...there's a bunch to look back on and a bunch to look ahead to.

2 comments:

Lydia Deutsch said...

Hi, Molly! I really enjoyed reading your blog. I am in that 10-day period of deciding whether or not I want to take the assignment offered to me - Burkina Faso for Small Enterprise Development starting October 13, 2010. Any and all insight from you would be incredibly helpful. I very much want to go and invested almost a year into the application process with this at the top of my list. It became real and I am trying to consider it as seriously as possible as I do not want to sign up with the idea of resigning. Anything would be helpful, but even if you do not have the time or get this past the 21st, thank you, again, for your blog. I graduated college this past spring, have no student loans, am in a serious relationship, have another job offer, and I am worried about health, safety, and the political situation.

Molly said...

Hi Lydia!
I can understand how you must be feeling! I had cold feet as my service finally started to become real, after such a long application process.
It may be too late for my insight to make any diffence at this point but if it isn't, I say take the offer. Burkina is a really good country in which to serve as a volunteer. As a SED volunteer you'll be placed primarically with one business or agency who wants you to work with them, and you'll be able to spread out and do secondary activities in pretty much any other sector that you'd like if that interests you.
Our Safety and Security officer is seriously one of the best staff members we've got here, and nothing is prioritized higher than our safety. While you're here, you'll quickly get comfortable talking about diarrhea, as that is one very common health concern, but our medical facility is excellent, as are our doctors, and both are always reachable.
Congratulations on just graduating and on having all of these options in front of you! I hope I get to meet you in a few months.