Saturday, April 10, 2010

It's not so much the heat, it's the...

...actually it kind of is the heat. Well, the things that the heat brings along with it at least. The hottness of the hot season's heat isn't unbearable as far as the temperature of the air around me is concerned. Yes, it's hot, but the thing that's proving the be the biggest challenge for me is being just so gosh darned tired because of it.

There are actually some competing theories for why I've been feeling tired recently. One is that I am not getting enough regular exercise, and while this is probably true you will be hard pressed to find me routinely scheduling in 10 or 15k bike rides during my afternoons these days. Also, I went through the various diseases that I could have, mono of course being high up on the list. (Fun Molly mono fact: once during college I told my mom that I thought I might have mono and her reply was "you don't have mono, you're just lazy." I took it with a grain of truth salt. Fun Molly mono fact number two: upon getting my blood drawn at some later date for some unrelated reason, it was discovered that I had in fact HAD mono at some point during my life, though I hadn't known about it. Because I am super tough.)

...but I digress...

Obvs I don't have mono, or any other mystyrious mystical magical African disease. It's just difficult to move through the days recently because I am so tired. I woke up from a deep sleep this morning as the heat was beginning to rise and moved from my mattress under my hangar to my bathroom where I proceded to be amazed by how much energy my normal morning de-sleep routine was taking AND by how soaked with sweat my hand became when I touched any part of my body, especially my face. And it's not even that I was feeling altogether too hot...my body was just expelling all of my energy out through my pores I think because immediately after finishing up I moved into one of the rooms of my house and sat down in my chair and thought about how great a nap would be.

Not being able to justify a pre-8am nap, I decided to put forth a valliant breakfast effort. Chewing is so difficult sometimes. So is pouring liquid from one container to another.

Somehow I managed to get a little fuel into my body and wander over to the administration building where tasks awaited me. I also managed to bike into town to meet a PCV friend for a beer (I can apparantly justify pre-noon beer more easily than morning naps) and a sandwich, and I met with my nun friend to go over a bunch of the ridic questions we were given for this pending formation of ours. She and I seem to share feelings about what lies ahead of us...for that reason alone, I think it's gonna be a good week.

Back to talking about how hot it is for a second, have you ever straight up sweated salt? Like, you could literally brush your arm with your hand and wipe the result off onto your rice? I had this attractive thing happen to me today where my arms and chest broke out into a wild red and white rash I think because salty sweat salt didn't leave my skin quick enough for the sweat that followed to make an escape. While we're talking about sweat, my wonderful captive audience, a good way to combat the heat is to never wipe your sweat off ever, except for maybe when it drips into your eyes...you want to really maximize your appreciation of the occasional gentle breezes that blow your way. ...though at this point, said breezes are more often than not gusts or gales of sandy wind. It's all about balance.

So as you see I have come to the internet to run my mouth off once again.

I'm going to go ahead and give major props to one Miss Teddy who sent me an Easter basket care package. How lovely and thoughtful and nice! I've gotten some nice letters and packages and texts from some other friends as well...they always put a smile on my face.

So does the 5 o'clock hour, and it is presque upon me. I am going to make sure I am out enjoying it.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Dear Molly,
You are stronger than anyone ever knew and you are an amazing young woman.
Be well and stay hydrated....
Love, Mary Johnson (PCV Mom- Evan)

DSMJSM said...

Oh, man! I'm sorry it's been so long, but I swear there are more podcasts winging their way over to cheer you up/energize you. Chuck and Josh are in rare form. :) Also, it's almost 90 in Iowa today and it's only the middle of April!