Wednesday, April 7, 2010

this morning wasn't so long ago, was it?

It’s Wednesday morning. I’m listening to an audio book by Jon Stewart and the Daily Show in my living room, legs crossed on my metal canteen that has taken up a dented coffee-table type function after my most recent home cleaning/reorganization spree. Feeling inspired. As I get more comfortable with my life here, more of my me starts to come back into my being here. I dunno if that makes sense to read, but it makes sense to feel.

I’ve been working on answering as many of the questions I’ve been given to complete for this training next week as I can…I’ve decided to profesh it out, typing it all up in good French and stuff instead of just showing up with the info in my head like I had initially resentfully planned. I talked to my provincial school inspector on the phone this morning, and he said he’ll be in his office this afternoon so I can stop by and get answers to the big statistical questions that we are being asked to answer (without any explanation as to why, but whatevs, my attitude about this venture is actually quite positive because it’s not worth letting disassociated bureaucracy negatively affect my daily life any more than it has to).

Anyhow…so after a bit of the heat has passed, sometime around 3:00, I will head into Kongoussi to sit with this man for as little time as is politely possible and try not to get roped into going out for a drink afterwards with him and my APE president friend. I’m going to have as much of the information as I can have typed up this evening so that I can show it to Sister Elisabeth as well as the Directrice to see if they have anything to add. If any information is lacking, I’ll go back into town to search again on Friday perhaps.

It’s almost time to do laundry again. Didn’t I just do my laundry?

Another thing I’ma do today is talk to my Directrice about an idea of mine. I brought it up with her yesterday and must now think it through in French and get in a pumped frame of mind to discuss. It’s a good idea.

Tonight I will be more aggressive in getting my cuisinaire friends to come over for reading/writing lessons…they didn’t show up yesterday despite one of them telling me they were planning to, and I don’t want our project to completely lose steam. I have a couple of easy reading French books to show them, and I hope they pique their interest…you know, something new, sense of accomplishment once they learn how to read a small story, all good things. I’ll be gone all next week (as I pretty much was all during congé), and I don’t want out evening classes to be something that’s just left behind. There needs to be some sort of progressive something or other that keeps ‘em coming back, keeps them interested.

I’ve been hugely regularly checking my email and blog and stuff for the past few days due to the fact that I have in my possession an internet USB key which, when loaded up with a sim card that is full of credit, allows me to get online anywhere my laptop is. Who woulda thunk it, right? The problem is, this costs a varying amount of money and I was just starting to SAVE money on phone credit due to the flotte plan that all Peace Corps volunteers and staff are on that allows us to call each other for free.

…speaking of, lunchtime phone call. Hold on.

…ok, that was a nice chat. Now it’s time to get back into motivation-mode. More questions to answer and a full afternoon to brace for. But first I must hydrate the heck out of myself so that I can psyche myself up for all that I have planned.

This week is going to be good. And next week will be in Ouahigouya and will be different and thus interesting. I might try and visit my host family during the weekend after the Positive Deviance formation…I’m sure I won’t be the only one with this plan! And then there are only two more weeks left of this dreaded month called April that everyone talks about being unbearably hot but which really hasn’t been all that bad. Maybe it has something to do with my luxurious living condition (actually, I’m sure it does…high ceilings big windows shaded from the sun and ceiling fans are not easily dismissible) but even outside my shaded porch thermometer has yet to hit 100F today…though if I take it out into the sun its tune will change instantaneously. Really I think that we were thrown a curveball with a couple of the weeks back in early March when the heat got ridiculous real fast and real early and then was either over or I adjusted to it. Prickly heat rashes aside, dry heat ain’t no thang.

Things are good and they’re gonna be good.

And I’ve got good things going on in my life.

Shout it from the rooftops.

No comments: